Friday, December 23, 2005

A virus on eclipse.org? Not.

What do you say to someone who sends this e-mail:

Subject: A virus on eclipse.org???
I entered "eclipse.org" into Internet Explorer and was connected to the following site:
http://free-software.com/index.php?dom=elcipse.org&fwd_to=free-software.com&r=&eml=info%40domaincar.com&sta=1&spc=0&prm=0&url=&txt=&acc=8120&c=

Is this a virus problem on my computer or have you done it intentionally? I didn't notice this until I installed Eclipse.
This person is convinced that our website makes money with popups and ads, or worse, that Eclipse installed a virus or ad on his computer. And he's not alone, because I've gotten several e-mails like that. So what went wrong? It's called typo-squatting, and you can read about it here. If you look at the above URL carefully, you'll see the ?dom=elcipse.org parameter. This person misspelled eclipse.org as elcipse.org (which happens to me often) and was redirected to an ads site. He confirmed it to me by looking at his browser's history.

It's scary the things people do to make money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home