Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Europa test-drive - part II

Yesterday I took Europa (Eclipse 3.3RC3) for a spin, and it proved to be a great experience for me. Finding and installing additional tools for Eclipse is much, much easier than before, thanks in part to the Europa discovery site. Today, I'm trying the experiment again, except this time I'm going for the latest Webtools bits. To help me do my Web work, I also need the ECF components, as well as the Datatools SQL tools. I'll be going with Eclipse 3.3 Release Candidate 4, which was uploaded by the platform team yesterday morning.

The story starts the same as yesterday, so I'll skip to the fun. In the Europa discovery site, I choose to install ECF, and upon picking the MySQL enablement package, I am told that there's a missing requirement - "org.eclipse.datatools.modelbase.feature (1.5.0.200705301)", or compatible. The packages are listed using a descriptive name, not the plugin name, so I cowardly click Select Required. Problem solved, easy stuff. As was the case yesterday, I see the scary "this plugin is not signed" dialog for most of the plugins. Come on guys, signing code is easy and free!

After the workbench is restarted, that's where I get the shocker with the new welcome screen:


1. "Eclipse is a kind of universal tool platform - an open extensible IDE for anything and nothing in particular". What does that mean? I hate that tag line, and we got rid of it on our website a long time ago. I've opened bug 192180 to request it be updated to reflect the times.

2. I'm guessing this is ECF's doing - thanks for putting that there, it should help me get going with ECF.

3. Java Development? It was installed as a required plugin. Makes sense, since I installed Webtools.

4. Wasted space - I installed Datatools and Webtools, perhaps they could have added a Getting Started with ... to help me get going?

Upon closing the welcome screen, I realize that the Datatools and Webtools plugins don't seem to be there. My first guess is that I'm not running Java > 1.4.2. Although Eclipse itself only requires 1.4.2, some add-ons require Java 5. John suggests we recommend a JRE 5 on our new downloads page, but a Failed Dependency warning would be neat too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Chris Aniszczyk (zx) said...

I would love to see more projects take advantage of the new intro enhancement.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Denis Roy said...

Chris, shouls I be opening bugs against the new into enhancement? Is this something that was introduced in 3.3?

7:53 AM  
Anonymous John Graham said...

Getting started with DTP: Open the Eclipse Help-->Welcome page, click on Overview, and look for the DTP info section.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Denis Roy said...

Thanks, John, I may be missing that part, as the DTP I installed doesn't work using JRE 1.4.2.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home