Friday, June 22, 2007

Mirror site appreciation day - June 25, 2007 !

I'm declaring Monday, June 25 as "Mirror Site Appreciation" day.

I just got a call from our ISP saying our extra Gigabit connection has just been plugged in, and I need to test it to be ready for the Europa release on June 29. Actually, I don't need to test the connection itself -- I need to test our servers, switches (and our ISP's routers). One thing learned from last year's Callisto is that any server can saturate a Gigabit connection when only a handful of clients are accessing it. Things get infinitely more complicated when thousands of clients pour in, requesting a whole bunch of files.

So, how do we test this? Easy! We disable all our mirror sites and handle *all* of our download traffic. On Monday, when you go to www.eclipse.org to download something, use your best Matrix voice and remember that "there is no mirror".

As was the case last year, I reserve the right to chicken-out of this insanity at any time during the day if I feel we can't handle it. Happy downloading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home