Sunday, March 16, 2008

What's the bandwidth of an Airbus A-319?

As I was flying into Santa Clara for EclipseCon 2008 with a complete copy of the Eclipse downloads area, I got to thinking how much data throughput I'm getting. Needless to say, the in-flight movie was bad, and the 10-year-old boy behind me made sure I remained awake for the entire duration of the flight.

For all intents and purposes, I left Ottawa at 6:00pm and crossed the Hyatt doors at 11:00pm. With timezones, that means it took me 8 hours to move 270 Gigabytes (over 4000 miles). If 270 GB is 2,211,840 Megabits and 8 hours is 28,800 seconds, that means I got about 76 Mbps.

Interesting. Well, I'm heading downstairs to meet up with Gunnar, and to go drool over the AMD gear that's waiting for me in the registration area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home