Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Newsgroups? No way, let's call them something else.

While many[1] enjoy the finer charms of NNTP newsgroups, it's no secret that NNTP is one of those old-school protocols, predating the joys of Facebook, Tweetering and instant texting.

On some blog somewhere, someone suggested I look at FUDForum for Eclipse.org, since it's one of those cool Forum apps that has the ability to act as a front-end to nntp newsgroups.  So I did, and I'm preparing to put this out for everyone to see.  See bug 284281 for details.

But I have one problem: What do we call it?  Eclipse Newsgroups?  No way -- the cool kids will think we're stuck in 1971.  Eclipse Forums? Eclipse Chat?  Help!!!



Help me put a name to this page .. If I like your ideas, I'll send some Eclipse swag your way.

[1] Please tell me I'm not the only one...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Doug Schaefer said...

They're called Forums everywhere else I know of. Why not stick with what people know.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Chris said...

My vote's for "Forum" -- still relevant, and a good description of what it is...

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Denis Roy said...

I woke up this morning and thought, 'Community Forums has a nice ring to it'. Since that's pretty much what Oisin suggested, then it must be right.

I did appreciate 'Mingle', though. It has a lounge/bar informal feel to it. TFN would be cool too :)

If you suggested any variation of 'Forum', drop me a line at webmaster@eclipse.org and I'll send some swag to you. Please indicate your t-shirt size as well as your shipping address.

Oisin, you probably have more Eclipse golf shirts than anyone else, so I can send you a jacket if you'd like.

Thanks for all the responses!

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home