Thursday, August 12, 2010

This is why I love Open Source Software

As I prepare to replace dev.eclipse.org with new servers, I noticed that IPZilla, a tweaked version of Bugzilla, wasn't working on the new servers.  It was bound to happen -- an antique version of Bugzilla running on the latest Perl.

Googling the error, I stumble upon this 3-year-old post from Max-Alexander Kanat, who responds to a user who is trying to run Bugzilla on a development version of Perl.  For that person, downgrading to the stable Perl works, but I can't (and don't want to) do that.

But Max didn't stop there.  That post raised a red flag, and he diligently opened a bug to investigate.  Patch issued, RESOLVED/FIXED.

I applied the one-line patch to our antique system, and voilà.  RESOLVED/FIXED for me as well.  15 minutes from start to finish.

I love Open Source Software.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home