Wednesday, November 02, 2011

My first EclipseCon Europe!

I'm in Germany this week for my first EclipseCon Europe. I had heard rumors that the Wifi's performance wasn't comparable to that of EclipseCon NA so I came here to help.

Just to be clear: I'm not involved in the network or Wifi setup at either conference, but I do bring a copy of download.eclipse.org with me. I then set up a mirror and some redirects so that your Eclipse bits aren't sent over the Internet.

This morning was a typical EclipseCon Day 1: although the conference Wifi is great, as attendees start up Eclipse, the p2 downloads pile up against the poor Internet connection, making it nearly impossible to do anything else. But after some caches, redirects and tweaking compression on www.eclipsecon.org, the local mirror is putting out over 800KB/sec and the rest of the world feels accessible again.

I'll keep monitoring the situation throughout the conference and tweak content as I can to help make sure your Wifi experience at econ2011 is the best it can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home