Tuesday, October 30, 2012

EclipseCon Europe was amazing

Last week I was at EclipseCon Europe, and now that the dust has finally settled, I thought I'd share some highlights of the event.


Technical Track
I'm a server guy, not a developer, so I can't comment much on the track.  However, as I tend to talk to just about anyone while I'm there, the feedback I got was very positive.  I heard the talks were great, and most people seem to appreciate being introduced to different technologies that they can investigate for usage on their Eclipse products or work environment.

For a server guy like myself, there wasn't as much compelling content as there was in North America in March with the ALM track.  But isn't that why there are two conferences to attend?


Networking
Most of the attendees I have spoken to got real value in connecting with the actual developers and integrators of Eclipse-based technologies.  Something about "getting knowledge from the source", if that was never a pun  :)


As webmaster@eclipse.org
It's always great to sit down with committers and community members to discuss issues around the Eclipse.org infra, be it Sonar with Mickael Istria, Gyrex with Gunnar Wagankn Wagenkenc -- Gunnar, Community with Lars Vogel (I'm not old!), Hudson with Ed Willink, or just lending a helping hand to those people who don't normally get webmaster support in their timezone  :)


Wifi
Wifi seems to be a recurring issue.  As someone pointed out, the Forum's wifi is likely more than adequate for 362 days out of the year.  For the remaining three, our atypical population seems to destroy even the best of intentions.  I did work closely with the on-site staff, and I'll be recommending some improvements for next year.  We'll see how it pans out.

One thing is for sure -- 1992 called and wants those 10Mbps hubs from the Power-Up Lounge back  :-)


Newcomers
The amount of first-time EclipseCon attendees is always staggering.  However, I was even more impressed to meet many EclipseCon newcomers at the Nestor bar after the day's schedule, despite their being immersed in a sea of unknown faces.  It was great to meet everyone.


Fun
Okay, let's face it: EclipseCon is always a fun time.  This year, we had the Nestor bar with its usual cast of characters; the band, who rocked us until they were out of songs to play; the Plug-Ins trio ... you simply had to be there; the circus, who dazzled us with their flame- and object-throwing acts; the contests, none of which a civilian like myself could understand...
.. and then there was the Scout crew with their cool Legos!  LEGOS!


Yet another amazing conference in the history books.  Props to Ralph, Anne and their respective crews for putting on such a great event!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home